Anastasia Romanov


BIRTH: 18 June 1901
Peterhof Palace, Saint Petersburg, Russian Empire

DEATH: 17 July 1918 (aged 17)

Ipatiev House, Yekaterinburg, Russian Soviet Republic


When Anastásia was born, her parents and family were disappointed to have a fourth girl and not the desired heir. Tsar Nicholas II took a long walk to compose himself before visiting Tsarina Alexandra and seeing the baby for the first time.

On the day of his birth, Nicolau II wrote in his diary: "Exactly at six in the morning, a small daughter - Anastasia - was born. It was all very fast and, thank God, without complications! For everything started and ended while everyone was still alive. slept, we both have a feeling of calm and loneliness. "

Stubborn, mischievous and impertinent, Anastasia was an admirable mime. Very comically and sharply, the girl exactly imitated the speech and manner of the people around her.

Anastasia and her older sister Maria were known within the family as "The Little Pair". The two girls shared a room, often wore variations of the same dress, and spent much of their time together. Their older sisters Olga and Tatiana also shared a room and were known as "The Big Pair". The four girls sometimes signed letters using the nickname OTMA, which derived from the first letters of their first names.

ymptomatic carriers of the gene, while not hemophiliacs themselves, can have symptoms of hemophilia including a lower than normal blood-clotting factor that can lead to heavy bleeding.DNA testing on the remains of the royal family proved conclusively in 2009 that Alexei suffered from Hemophilia B, a rarer form of the disease. His mother and one sister, Anastasia, were carriers. Therefore, had Anastasia lived to have children of her own, they might have been afflicted by the disease as well.

Alexei's hemophilia was chronic and incurable; his frequent attacks caused permanent disability.

Anastasia was described as intelligent and gifted, Anastasia, after all, never took much interest in classroom restrictions, at least according to the reports of her teachers Pierre Gilliard and Sydney Gobbes. Gibbes, Gilliard and the ladies-in-waiting Lili Dehn and Anna Vyrubova, described Anastasia as a lively, misbehaving and talented actress.

Gleb Botkin said that she broke the family's record of punishments, and was a real prankster. Once, during a snowball war in Poland, Anastasia hid a rock inside a snowball and threw it at her older sister, Tatiana, hitting it in the face and causing it to fall to the ground. Finally, tears welled up in her eyes. After that incident, Anastasia was distressed and appalled many days, and it healed the propensities to practice other games. A distant cousin, Princess Nina Georgievna, recalled that "Anastasia was unpleasant, to the point of being mean," and that she cheated, kicked and scratched her opponents during games. She was also offended that Nina, who was the same age, was taller than she was. She also cared less about her appearance than her sisters.

She was also a "maria-boy" who rarely cried. Her aunt Olga Alexandrovna recalled that she was once pestering her so excessively that she slapped her. The girl's face turned bright red, but she ran silently from the room.

Pierre Gilliard, her French tutor, wrote about her: "Anastasia was very mischievous and funny. She had a keen sense of humor and her sarcastic comments almost always touched sensitive subjects. She was a terrible child, although her defects tended to to be corrected with age. She was extremely lazy, but she was a gifted child's laziness. Her French accent was excellent, and she represented comedy scenes with remarkable talent. The suite acquired the habit of calling it "ray of the Sun", the nickname given to its mother by the English court.

Despite her energy, Anastasia had several health problems. The Grand Duchess had bunions, a painful condition that affected both of her larger toes. She also had a weak back muscle, so she had to be massaged twice a week. To escape these messages, Anastásia hid under the bed or in a closet.

Baroness Shopie Buxhoeveden wrote that Anastasia "would have become the most beautiful of the sisters if she had lived longer. Her features were regular and well-defined. She had beautiful hair, beautiful and lively eyes as if she always had a playful smile hidden in her depths, and black eyebrows that almost came together. All of this combined, made the younger Grand Duchess different from all the sisters. She had her own look and looked more like her mother's family than her father's. short, even at seventeen, and at the time she was a little fat, but she was a teenager, and she would have lost her like her sister Maria. She liked to spend her free time listening to music on her record player, writing letters, watching movies, taking pictures (a family hobby), playing hide and seek with Alexei and lying in the sun doing nothing. Her perfume was Coty's Violette.

During the First World War, Anastasia visited wounded soldiers in a private hospital in Tsarskoye Selo in the company of her sister Maria. The two teenagers, too young to become Red Cross nurses, like their mother and older sisters, played chess and billiards with the soldiers and tried to cheer them up.

In February 1917, after the Tsar's abdication, Anastasia and her family were placed under house arrest at Alexander's Palace in Tsarskoye Selo during the Russian Revolution. As the Bolsheviks approached, Alexander Kerensky of the Provisional Government sent them to Tobolsk, in Siberia.

In Tobolsk, Anastasia and her sisters sewed jewelry on their clothes in hopes of hiding them from their executioners, since Alexandra, who had already been transferred to Yekaterinburg with her husband and daughter Maria, sent a letter to warn them that they had all been searched when they arrived in the city and personal items had been confiscated. Alexandra used code names like "drugs" and "Sednev stuff" to refer to jewelry and wrote a song for his English tutor, full of misspellings about Evelyn Hope, a poem by Robert Browning, which spoke about a young woman of Anastasia's age.

Anastasia, Olga and Tatiana were sexually harassed by guards looking for the hidden jewels aboard the Rus, a steamship that transported them to Ekaterinburg to join their parents and sister Maria in May 1918. Their English tutor, Sidney Gibbes he remembered hearing the grand duchesses screaming in terror, and was haunted for the rest of his life for not being able to help them.

In her last months of life, Anastásia always looked for ways to have fun. With other members of the household, she made plays to entertain her parents and others in the spring of 1918. Anastasia's performances made everyone laugh, recalled tutor Sidney Gibbes. On May 7, 1918, in a letter from Tobolsk to her sister Maria in Yekaterinburg, Anastasia described a moment of joy: "We played on the swing and that was when I lost my laugh, the fall was so wonderful! Really! I already told this to our sisters so many times yesterday that they are tired of listening to me, but I could continue to tell the story to What a fantastic time we've had! Anyone could just scream for joy. "In his memoirs, one of the guards at Casa Ipatiev, Alexander Strekotin, recalls Anastasia as" very friendly and fun "while another guard said that Anastasia was a very charming demon. She was mischievous and I think she rarely got tired. hilarious with the dogs, as if they were circus dogs ".

In the summer, deprivation of captivity, including its increasingly restricted confinement at Casa Ipatiev, adversely affected the family. According to some reports, at one point, Anastásia was so disconcerted by the locked and whitewashed windows that she ended up opening one to look outside and get some fresh air. A sentry saw it and fired, missing it narrowly. Anastasia never did the same again.

On the day of the execution Maria, Anastásia and the servant Demidova, were on the floor, under the only window in the basement. As the executioner approached, Maria rose and fought with Ermakov as he tried to stab her. The jewelry on her clothes protected her, and Ermakov claimed he shot her in the head. Afterwards, Ermakov fought with Anastasia, was unable to stab her and said that he also shot her in the head. Maria's skull shows no signs of bullets and it is unclear how she died. Ermakov was drunk at the time of the murders and it is possible that her shot had just grazed Maria's head, knocking her unconscious and causing a major hemorrhage, but it did not kill her. Then, as the bodies were removed from the basement, two of the grand duchesses showed signs of life. One sat and screamed, lifting an arm over her head, while another bleeding from her mouth, moaned and moved slightly. Since the wounds caused to Olga and Tatiana killed them instantly, it is more likely that it was Maria, who was perhaps just unconscious, screaming, while Anastasia might still be able to move and moan. Despite Ermakov's written testimony not mentioning it, the executioner told his wife that Anastasia was killed with a bayonet, while Yurovsky wrote that when the bodies were being taken, one of the grand duchesses or more, screamed, but were hit in the part behind the head. However, Maria's skull shows no signs of violence and the burned fragments of Anastasia's body discovered in 2009 do not provide any clue to her cause of death.

In 2000, Anastasia and her family were canonized as Bearers of the Passion for the Russian Orthodox Church. The family was previously canonized in 1981 by the Russian Orthodox Church abroad as Neomártires. The bodies of Tsar Nicholas II, Tsarina Alexandra and three daughters were finally buried in the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul in St. Petersburg on July 17, 1998, eighty years after her murder.